
I left Amritsar and headed back to Delhi before catching my flight to Goa. Yes, the two hour flight was a lot faster than a 25+ hour train ride or infinite motorcycle journey I contemplated. I am glad I checked my email a few days before flying because they moved the departure time up by 2 hours. Given my history of missing flights, chances were slim that I would have gotten there 2 hours early to make the new departure time. Nonetheless, I made it in time and was amazed at the ease and efficiency at the Delhi airport. They didn't even ask for a photo id. I forgot that I had a pocket knife in my carry on (mostly used for peeling veggies) and the security officer found it. I thought I was going to have to part with it, but they told me i'd be able to collect it at the airport in Goa. They tagged it, gave me a ticket and told me to look for a Spice Jet agent at baggage claim. And yes, it reappeared at the other end.
My short trip through Delhi was great. I had planned on staying in Paharganj (or as i like to call it Par Grunge), but my friend Ambar kindly invited me to stay with his family. Before meeting with up with him I met up with Shazia, my beautiful Kashmiri friend who is a film director and lives in Delhi. We went to Parikrama, a revolving restaurant overlooking all of Delhi for some good chai and conversation. We met in Rishikesh and hadn’t seen each other in 2 weeks or so, but it still felt like we had tons to catch up on. After few hours, she had to run to the Amartya Sen lecture (he's an Indian economist who got the Nobel Prize in ’98 ‘ish) to interview him for her newest films. Her driver took us to the Habitat Centre, the event had already started, but we pushed our way right to the front since we were with the “press”. Nini, you would have loved the lecture. She directs documentaries mostly for European tele. My friend Noah and I are going to see if we can set up a screening in NYC for her. Shazia, you are awesome and I love you!!! Goa baby....think beach and get down here!!!!
My friend Ambar invited me to stay with his family and spoiled me rotten! It was great to be in a house (with running hot water), enjoy great home cooked meals and lavish in first class Indian hospitality. I got some laundry done, left all my winter/hiking clothes at his house, got to spend time with his grandmother and shop at the Khan market with his cousin during the day! We cruised around New and Imperial Delhi, stopped at the India Gate for a night time ice cream (a great Delhi tradition) and got some pan at what Ambar claims to be one of the best pan stands. Dada, it is next to the Claridge Hotel, have you been? His family was soooo great and hospitable. I really really felt like I was at home. His cousin Amita and I shopped all morning and she felt truly like a sister after only a few hours (easy Nini.....).
Mags, I still feel like I am traveling with you when I interact with some of the locals! Mags and I met in Rishikesh and again rendezvous’ed in DH. She’s an Irish journalist who’s every other word is fuck. She’s writing an article on spirituality in India. I tagged along with her for a number of interviews with monks, saints, sages and ventured into the households of some locals. It was great to see their response to her questions laced with the word fuck.
I am in Goa, staying in a coconut hut on the beach before my yoga workshop starts. Back in a bikini and just cruising on my moped, eating fresh coconut (Deb, I am thinking of you!), papaya, mangoes, bananas, tamarind and guava. Life is......still good :)
One of my friends just read my blog and emailed me asking who all these people are? "who are all random friends, did you know them earlier or are they completely random?" Well, yes friends who I've met randomly, but don't we all know each other by random chance and meetings? It's amazing the people you meet on the road and how quickly you bond, especially when travelling from city to city or sharing a room. My friend Maurice told me "some of the best friends you'll make are those on the road". I couldn't agree more. Love you all.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home