Taklagyal and I

I met Taklagyal today at a cafe. He is 26 and a Tibetan refuge. He left Tibet in 2003 and trekked for 37 days through the snow mountains. His English is really good, but he asked me if I'd have a chai with him so he could practice speaking. He lives in a refuge school and is provided housing and schooling, but not much more. He left his family in Tibet to seek assylum after being educated in China. His stories of what the Chinese have done to the Tibetans were horrible. It is so sad. The Chinese govt blocks numbers coming from this area, so he can't call home and really misses his parents. He isn't crazy about living here, but can't really leave since he has no birth certificate, passport or any sort of documentation.
My smile is so big because instead of saying "smile" the guy taking the photo said "smell". I love it..........I am meeting him and a few of his friends to practice English in a few days (we both need the practice).
Life is sooo good. Anyone need to sublet an apartment in June? I leave for Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam at the end of May and Australia is calling me.......One of my friends just came from Laos and gave me 10,000 Kip (only about $2 but good for 2 nights of accomodations). Internet connections are fast here, so I'll try upload some older photos and tell more stories.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home