Sunday, April 23, 2006

I met a British guy on the second day and we rented bikes. If you went to the river and crossed at the coracle there was supposedly a beautiful temple. We looked at our map and thought we could do a big loop and bike there instead. The thought of some good exercise was appealing, but we failed to pay attention to the “map not drawn to scale” note. I told George that I had a horrible sense of direction and all navigation was in his hands. We were smart and decided to leave at 1pm (peak sun time to top off my already dark tan) in search of the Hanuman (the Hindu monkey god) temple in Anegondi. We had been cycling for about 2 hours and I kept on telling him I thought we’d gone too far or were lost. Being a typical man, he was hesitant to accept defeat and ask for help. The few people we asked kind of agreed and pointed us along. Looking back on it, I am sure few of them understood us. We decided to turn around when someone told us we had 3 furlongs further. Furlongs!!! I think I skipped that day of class and neither of us had an idea how far a furlong was. Who measures distances in furlongs anyway? We later found out there were 4 different Hanuman temples in the area. We tried to hitch hike on the back of a farm truck, but no one would take the bikes. At 8 rps an hour, I was ready to ditch them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home