(here's an over due update for my dad!)The whole time I was in Chitwan Royal National Park I felt like I was in the filming of National Lampoon's Vacation-Nepal, endless laughs. We went the day after the half marathon and my friend's quads were a little sore. Walking wasn't too much of a challenge for him, with the exception of his legs occasionally giving out. Going up or down steps was tough! We had steps around our hotel, climbing to get in and out of the jeep, in and out of the canoe and on and off the elephant. Chitwan, a national park most famous for it's one horned rhino, also has strange breeds of deer, wild boar, monkeys, leopards, sloth bears and Royal Bengali tigers (they are shy so you have to go deep into the jungle and hide in trees waiting for them). Our tour guide was hilarious. We canoed a few hours to get deeper into the jungle and as we got out of the water our guide (gosh, I wish I took a photo-he was all decked out in a jungle safari suit, hat and all), gave us strict instructions as to what to do if and when we encountered different animals. He made us all squat down (a challenge for some) low to the Earth and whisper. "If you see a rhino, first try climb a tree, if you can't climb a tree, hide behind it since they have bad vision. As a last resort, run in fast zig zags since they aren't very mobile". He also gave instructions for other animals. It was so funny. We spent 3 days searching for the infamous rhino. He kept on telling us how unlucky we were not to see a rhino and that only one other group in the past year didn't see one. On the last day we stayed up late watching the World Cup and didn't expect a 5am wake up call. I picked up the phone to our obnoxiously cheery guide's voice asking if we wanted to go look for rhinos! I looked at the time and thought the clock was wrong. We went only to prove to him we weren't as "unlucky" as he claimed. Hacking through grass over 6 feet tall looking for rhinos at five thirty in the morning; I couldn't help but laugh. In short, we didn't see a rhino and everyone else I've known did. Our guide kept on pointing out rhino tracks, rhino shit, mud tracks from rhinos copulating and rhino apples, but no rhinos. I didn't really care, but Yubaraj took me to the Kathmandu Zoo to see them. Gosh, I am glad I didn't see one in the jungle, they are so ugly and nasty. We did see tons of crocodiles, wild boar, monkeys, elephants, weird looking deer, tons of beautiful birds and some crazy Australian tourists. Yubaraj does a great wild boar sound, so we staged a fake sighting to excite the guide. We'd lag a few meters behind the group, he'd use one of his many talents and squeal, and I would scream "pigs pigs" and watch everyone run. It was soooo funny! It only worked once since I couldn't hide the laughter! After one of our long elephant rides, we had an hour or so to relax before lunch when the phone rang. It was our guide asking us if we wanted to go bath with the elephants(???) Anytime he said anything, I had to have him repeat himself, because I couldn't believe he was serious! Yes, bathing with elephants, it wasn't on the itinerary, but we went to the river and swam with them. At first I was a little grossed out, but got over it once everyone else plunged in.
Some things never change and of course I jumped at the opportunity to get on tv when the national television station(the country is too small for a local station) approached me for an interview. I was in Thamel, the tourist area in Kathmandu, and they went through some basic questions like Name? Hometown/country? How long I've been in Nepal? how do I like Nepal? First time? Was I deterred by the political situation? Will I come back, etc? After walking away from the brief interview I realized that I was that obnoxious American I detest who uses overzealous words like "awesome, amazing, love it, extraordinary, etc." I wanted to chase him down and see if he could re record since I had a few questions for him like; why do your shop keepers try sell me yak wool pashminas in the middle of summer? And please tell everyone on the street that no, I don't want to go trekking, I don't need a mountain flight to Everest (I haven't changed my mind in the last 20 minutes), it's 9 in the morning and I don't need drugs and if mangoes were in season all year I would consider living here. It was recorded on a Sunday and supposed to air on Thursday. My short term has had little reason to function in the past few months, so of course I missed it. Other than that.....my bike trip from Tibet to KTM was canceled (bummer), but c'est la vie. I met a cyclist how's been biking around the world for the last three years and is about to bike from here to Lhasa, but it's all uphill and he isn't leaving for a month, so I am not going. His story is soooo inspiring (here's his website www.brinkx.org). He bikes around the world and has put a school curriculum together for children. He's given me some nice pointers on how to have companies help sponsor your round the world trip. Really amazing!
Other than that, I went to visit a Nepali jail a few days ago (Yubaraj used to be a human rights/political activist and a guy from his village was in for 20 years for murder). Yes, that was pretty intense to say the least. Sorry, no photos allowed and too getting too tired to write about it, maybe next time. But they did bring the prisoners and guests tea during the visit. Misch, Audra, Solveig, Ian, Deb, Elke, Idan and all my other fellow vipassana mates I've met along the way; I finally finished the course. Wow! I'll email you guys separately with details.
Sadly, my days in Nepal are almost up. My visa expires on the 2nd of July so I am leaving...on the 2nd, as late as possible and will just make the border closing (knock on wood). A friend of a friend works in immigration and could probably swing me an extension, but my passport is with the Chinese embassy. Heading to the Karakoram Highway (part of the Silk Route) next. Wheels, if you thought I was off the map a few months ago......after the KKH, I'll really be off the map with hopes to resurface in France by Sept 2nd to meet my sista for a quick dose of the family! Madonna plays in Paris Aug 27th through the 31st, so we'll see if I can work my way into the show somehow. Other than that....too much adventure to put in words (sorry). My blog doesn't really capture the half of it, but it's the best I can do for others.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home